Resources and Strategies for Food & Financial Relief
People who anticipate having trouble making payments can review the “Helpful Hints" list below for some ideas. There are financial assistance options for our area below.
Helpful Hints for Paying Bills
- If you haven’t looked at a budget in a while, now’s the time to do so. Every Dollar is a great free app to use to get a budget together.
- Get clarity, where possible, from your income sources as to what the reality will look like over the coming months.
- Cut spending to bare necessities. If you can’t pay all of your bills, Dave Ramsey recommends you spend your money on these four items first and in this order: food, utilities, shelter, transportation.
- Enroll for health insurance if you can.
- If you would like us to put you in contact with one of our Financial Peace University coordinators for budgeting assistance, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identify payments that can be deferred:
- Call creditors to explain your situation. You can ask for temporary relief on your monthly payments. If you offer to still send some money, even if it’s a smaller amount than your typical payment, they might be more willing to work with you.
- If you have federal student loans, you can forbear (interest accrues) or defer (interest doesn’t accrue on subsidized federal loans) your loan payments: Federal student loan payments suspended with no interest during COVID-19 pandemic.
- For student loans, use this questionnaire to understand what options are available to you.
- If you’re paying extra on debt(s) right now, it might not be a bad idea to temporarily stop extra payments and then restart them once things settle down.
Local Relief Resources
OFFICIAL UPDATES FOR VIRGINIA & LOUDOUN COUNTY RESIDENTS
Due to current circumstances, Dulles South Food Pantry is serving in-area guests only and these guests must have an appointment. Schedule an appointment to receive food on Wednesdays by calling 703-507-2795 or e-mail at email@example.com.
Mobile Hope has a bus delivering food, hygiene items and diapers on a weekly schedule. You can find the schedule here.
Loudoun County Food Resources:
Loudoun County has launched an interactive map to help residents find food assistance sites, including food banks, pantries and non-school meal distribution sites.
The searchable map also links to webpages for the various sites. The map will be updated as food assistance sites make service changes.
- Loudoun County Utility Provider Updates
MEDICAL & PRESCRIPTIONS
- Loudoun prescription delivery service
- List of insurance providers and what their plans offer during COVID-19
- CDC COVID-19 symptom checker
Gateway Relief Resources
Gateway has some funds for providing benevolence assistance with rent, utilities and other essentials. To begin the benevolence process or request a small gas or grocery gift card, please submit a care request by clicking the button below.